- mobiles for advocacy
- find tactics
- Coordinating & mobilising
- People's media
- Fundraising & resource mobilisation
- Outreach & participation
- look at tools
- how tos
- Case studies
- working with mobiles
Collect data on your mobile phone and send it back to a laptop or other computer.
Who's it for; Episurveyor is designed for organisations wishing to undertake surveys in the communities they work with. It was originally designed for organisations working in the health field.
Investment required; EpiSurveyor has both free and paid versions; the free version, used by 99% of users, is subsidized by paid subscriptions.
EpiSurveyor is a web-based application that enables anyone to create a data entry form online, and collect data with those forms on a mobile device. Once collected, data can be uploaded to the website for analysis or export. The EpiSurveyor mobile app is available for iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Symbian phones (basic feature phones). Simple information can also be collected from ANY phone using SMS.
This can be used for different kinds of surveys (eg. public health).
How it works: The EpiSurveyor form designer is a web application, like Facebook or Google Maps, and is accessed via the browser (no installation needed). Once forms are created online they can be transfered to a mobile "app" (application) running on a variety of mobile phones, including iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Symbian phones. Simple data can be collected using SMS from any phone. Both the web-based form designer and the mobile app assume no technical background, no programming skill, and are made to be "word-processor easy" to use.
The process is:
- Enter your questions into the web-based form designer program to create a form
- Download the forms to mobile device(s)
- Gather information on the mobile device(s)
- Upload the data wirelessly via an internet or SMS connection (or transfer by cable or memory card to a laptop)
- The data from all the handhelds will be combined into a single data table which can be exported to a variety of formats for analysis
Version: 1.2.7 (May 2, 2008)
Languages: English, Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese. Any language/alphabet supported for data collection.
- Operating System/s: Any
- Hardware: Any computer with a browser, plus a mobile phone
- Supported phones include:
- Full list of tested phones at http://www.episurveyor.org/m
- Supported phones include:
Installation Level: no installation required for web app; installation of mobile app is easy
Usage Level: Easy
Troubleshooting Level: Easy. Free email support via https://datadyne.zendesk.com
Support and User Forums: Support and User Forums: https://datadyne.zendesk.com/forums
Getting Started: https://datadyne.zendesk.com/entries/21089197-first-steps
Additional Resources: (FAQs, tutorials, documentations, manuals)
Experiences and Case Studies:
- WHO and Kenya MOH using EpiSurveyor to fight polio in Kenya
- Abt Associates using EpiSurveyor for TB management in Nigeria
- International Federation of the Red Cross using EpiSurveyor to fight malaria in Africa
- Camfed using EpiSurveyor in multiyear multi-country education evaluation project
- JSI case study using EpiSurveyor for rapid surveys in Liberia for "Rebuilding Basic Health Services" program